Thursday, July 21, 2011

All This Stuff

Recently I was visiting my parents who live out-of-province. Because I see them only once or twice a year, I have the opportunity to look at things from a fresh perspective each time. What really struck me this visit was All The Stuff they have. They told me that they have been downsizing all year, a sensible task to take on in your 70s, if not at a younger stage of life. So when the house of my childhood looked pretty much identical this summer as when I was a youngster, I had to question just how much downsizing they actually did.

Turns out they indeed worked pretty hard at it; while the amount of furniture hasn’t changed, there are a lot fewer dishes, books, office supplies, toiletries, linens and All That Stuff hidden away in every drawer, closet and shelf of most houses. I, of course, have filled up my own house with all the same items. It’s the sustainability of it all that worries me.

Consumers certainly need some products, and want many, many more. Businesses are only too happy to produce and sell them to those who can pay. Employees of these organizations are happy to have a job, so that a paycheque allows them to purchase the things they want. It would seem this cycle is self-sustaining. But as a society, we have begun to ask important questions about where our resources will come from in the future. And as a daughter, I have started asking important questions about where all my parents’ stuff is going to go in the future.
Some of it will wear out and go to landfill. Some of it will end up in my house. I’d like to think I could give most of it away – but people don’t want other people’s old stuff – they want their own, new stuff and the satisfaction of purchasing. My social conscience struggles with this; how can we continue to just keep buying more and more? But how will businesses prosper, and provide jobs, if consumers stop purchasing? Ultimately, I feel that we’re stripping the earth of its resources, we’re putting ourselves into debt, and we’re pretending to make ourselves happier by owning more. I think there is a massive paradigm shift that we need to make both as consumers and entrepreneurs, and that maybe the recent recession has finally prompted us all to think about some of these big issues.

I think I’ll start by redesigning the “Reduce ->Reuse ->Recycle” poster to be “Reduce->Reduce->Reduce->Reuse->Reuse->Recycle”.

No comments:

Post a Comment